The 77th Street underpass will connect 77th Street east and west of Trunk Highway (TH) 77 (Cedar Avenue) to eliminate a gap in the minor reliever network. The project will connect Bloomington and Longfellow Avenues and address regional traffic issues on the I-494 corridor through Richfield and Bloomington.
- 4-lane road connecting 77th Street to the realigned Longfellow Avenue on the east side of TH 77.
- Construct new bridge on TH 77 carrying TH 77 over 77th Street.
- Reconstruct the southbound TH 77 to westbound I-494 ramp.
- Reconstruct the westbound I-494 to northbound TH 77 ramp.
- Construct a 6′ sidewalk along the south side of 77th Street.
- Construct a 10′ multi-use regional trail along the north side of 77th Street, which links to Nine Mile Creek Regional Trail and the Intercity Regional Trail.
- Provides Connections – Establishes a Regional, Multi-Modal Connection between the City of Richfield, the City of Bloomington, MSP International Airport, the Metro Transit South Garage, and the Mall of America.
- Ease Congestion – Provides additional capacity to I-494 by removing local trips from the freeway.
- Encourage Redevelopment – Promotes redevelopment along the south-eastern borders of Richfield that will provide a commercial “buffer” to protect neighborhoods from airport and highway impacts.
- Design Engineering – 2016-2020
- Construction – 2021-2023
- State Bonding (Local Road Improvement Program)
- Hennepin County
- Federal Funds
Public Works Director