More roundabouts—one-way circular intersections where traffic flows around a center island—are coming to Richfield.
The Richfield City Council approved roundabouts on 66th Street at Lyndale Avenue and Nicollet Avenue on February 24, 2015. The roundabouts will be constructed with the upcoming reconstruction project scheduled to begin in 2017.
Roundabouts will keep traffic flowing and offer safety benefits for drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Vehicles entering a roundabout yield to those already in it, providing safe and efficient traffic flow. No more red lights!
Pictured above: 66th and Lyndale (Left) and 66th and Nicollet (Right)
Slower speeds are generally safer for pedestrians, and studies show that roundabouts at busy intersections are dramatically safer than stop lights, offering:
- a more than 90% reduction in fatalities*
- a 76% reduction in injuries**
- a 35% reduction in all crashes**
* “Safety Effect of Roundabout Conversions in the United States: Empirical Bayes Observational Before-After Study.” Transportation Research Record 1751, Transportation Research Board (TRB), National Academy of Sciences (NAS), Washington, D.C., 2001.
** NCHRP Report 572: Roundabouts in the United States. National Cooperative Highway Research Program, TRB, NAS, Washington, D.C., 2007.
Roundabouts move traffic safely and efficiently by:
- slowing driver speeds
- reducing conflict points
- allowing easy decision-making
Slower vehicle speeds mean:
- Drivers have more time to judge and react
- Older and beginner drivers find intersections safer to navigate
- The severity of accidents is reduced
- Pedestrians are safer
- Traffic is always on the move so there is less delay
- Traffic capacity in the intersection is increased 30 to 50%
- Pollution and fuel use are reduced
- Fewer stops and starts means less noise
- There is no signal equipment to install and repair
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT ROUNDABOUTS?
Check out these links:
- Navigating a Multi-Lane Roundabout
- How About a Roundabout?
- Glen Falls, NY Roundabout
- Cedar Falls Roundabouts
- Economic Benefits of Roundabouts in Sarasota
- A Study of Roundabouts on Traffic Flows and Business
- When to use RBTS vs. Signals
- Business Access and Economic Benefits w/ RBTS
- Investigation of Pedestrian/Bicyclist Risk in Minnesota Roundabout Crossings
- Do roundabouts work for bicycles and pedestrians?