Road Work Updates
The goal of this project is to improve the operational safety for pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicles, and to improve the condition of the pavement. The project will replace the deteriorating roadway, sidewalks, and underground utilities. Hennepin County is working with the City of Richfield to develop a preliminary design plan for the reconstruction of 66th Street (CSAH 53). The approximate limits of the project extend from Xerxes Avenue to 16th Avenue South.
November 2017 Update
Major construction along 66th Street is complete for the 2017 season. The road is now open to all traffic in both east and west Richfield.
During 2017, crews were able to complete construction on the west end between Xerxes and Girard Avenues and on the east end between Columbus and 16th Avenues. Crews also:
- Replaced underlying soil with new soil to extend the lifespan of the road
- Updated the aging underground water main and storm and sanitary sewers to reduce needs for repair and replacement of pipes in the near future
- Updated curbs and gutters to address deteriorating pavement and drainage concerns
- Moved overheard utilities underground (to be completed in winter)
The project team also worked to connect with businesses and community members along the corridor. Project team staff held regular on-site sidewalk meetings and conducted frequent door-to-door business visits to provide project updates, answer questions and discuss individual needs. Sidewalk meetings and regular business visits will continue during the 2018 construction season.
In most of the completed areas, 66th Street users will now be able to enjoy:
- New pavement that provides a smoother ride
- New sidewalks and trails with a boulevard buffer
- New bicycle paths
- New turn lanes in key areas
Over the winter, a few projects will be occurring along 66th Street:
- Crews from Xcel Energy will be removing the power poles on the north side of the street.
- Tree removals between Girard and 5th Avenues will occur after January 1, 2018, in preparation for next season’s reconstruction.
Crews will be using intermittent short-term lane closures during winter work.
Even though 66th Street will remain under construction into 2018, county snow and ice removal teams will maintain it throughout the winter.
This schedule is subject to change.
- Major street reconstruction between Xerxes and Humboldt Avenues
- Major street reconstruction between Oakland and 16th Avenues
- Major street reconstruction between Humboldt and 5th Avenues
- Restoration and completion of some sidewalks in the 2018 work areas
- Final restoration and completion of some sidewalks in the 2018 work areas
Stay tuned for more public input opportunities during the design process.
Thursday, January 18, 2018
4:00PM – 6:30PM
Richfield Public Works, 1901 E. 66th St.