Road Work Updates
I-494 Project Public Information Meeting – Wednesday, October 13th at 3:30pm
35W South to 494 West ramp closed until Thursday, October 21
The ramp from I-35W south to I-494 west is now closed until Thursday Oct. 21 for ramp and median construction related to the Orange Line BRT Transitway construction. Following this closure, 494 operations in the area should return to normal as the project is nearly complete. Official detour: (three interchange loops) I-35W south to I-494 east to I-35W north to I-494 west.
October 7, 2021 77th Street Underpass Construction Update!
- The temporary bridge superstructure was delivered this week on the East side of the project. The assembly of the superstructure for the temp bridge will take all of next week before traffic can be shifted onto the bridge.
- The Northbound lanes of Highway 77 to Westbound I-494 will be closed starting at 5:00 am on October 16th so that the temporary bridge can be installed. Please follow any detour signs in the surrounding areas during this time.
- Subcut grading will occur along 77th St to prepare for the future underpass. Subcutting is a soil correction procedure that removes poor soils in a construction area and replaces it with sand. The sand is spread evenly and compacted to create a proper base for future roadways.
- Dewatering of the soils on the East side of the project continues in preparation for the installation of the temp bridge.
- Additional grading for the 77th St. Underpass, Washington Park, and the future Richfield Parkway is planned to take place the week of October 18th.
- Prior to the installation of the temporary bridge, reinforced soil slope walls will be completed this week. These walls use horizontal geosynthetic reinforcement to create structurally sound, steep slopes that otherwise would not be possible.
77TH STREET UNDERPASS
The 77th Street underpass will connect 77th Street east and west of Trunk Highway (TH) 77 (Cedar Avenue) to eliminate a gap in the minor reliever network. The project will connect Bloomington and Longfellow Avenues and address regional traffic issues on the I-494 corridor through Richfield and Bloomington.
Construction: Summer 2021-Spring 2023
Lyndale Avenue Reconstruction
The Lyndale Avenue Reconstruction project was completed in Spring 2020. See below for our weekly project update videos.
Check out this awesome time-lapse of the final phase of construction near Lyndale and 66th Street:
From the entire project team, we would like to thank all local businesses, residents and Lyndale Avenue users for your patience and cooperation during the entire project!
66TH STREET RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT
In 2020, the 66th Street contractor wrapped up loose ends and completed final punch list items along the corridor.
Corridor ready for all users!
While the construction addressed many things you won’t be able to see or instantly appreciate, there are many benefits you will be able to enjoy every day:
- New traffic flow improvements, including roundabouts at Nicollet and Lyndale avenues
- New pavement providing a smoother ride when traveling in a vehicle
- New sidewalks and trails with a boulevard buffer between the road
- New paths to use when bicycling
- New turn lanes in key areas
From the entire project team, we would like to thank all local businesses, residents and 66th Street users for your patience and cooperation during the entire 66th Street project and for this final construction season!