Road Work Updates
66TH STREET RECONSTRUCTION
Construction along 66th Street has been progressing well these past several months.
Below is what you can expect along 66th Street these next few weeks:
Nearing completion of underground utility replacement
Crews have been making good progress these past few weeks and have almost replaced all underground utilities in this year’s construction zone.
Road restoration work around I-35W interchange begins late next week
Crews will soon be wrapping up utility work between Humboldt and Emerson avenues. As a result, we will be doing several activities in this area near the I-35W interchange to restore the roadway.
We anticipate pouring curbs in the area on Friday, September 21, and Saturday, September 22. The following week, crews will be back in the area to pave. The area will remain open to local traffic, but please remember to allow extra time as crews will be on site and will need to move equipment through the area.
Additional activities next week
- Utility replacement between Emerson Avenue and Lake Shore Drive
- Concrete sidewalk installation between Lake Shore Drive and Nicollet Avenue
- Pond construction at the southeast corner of 66th Street and Stevens Avenue
Additional 66th Street activities you should know about.
Metro Transit bus stops under I-35W reopen mid-October
The eastbound and westbound bus stops on 66th Street under I-35W remain closed while major construction activities continue in the area (the bus stops on the I-35W ramps remain open). The bus stops are expected to reopen by mid-October; in the meantime, riders can still use the nearby bus stops at Humboldt Avenue or Lynwood Boulevard.
Changing pedestrian detours in the area
Crews will continue pouring the concrete sidewalks between Lake Shore and Nicollet avenues.
Be aware the pedestrian detour route will change at times during this phase of work. Pay attention and follow the signed route at all times, or call 612-444-3186 if you have questions or need help navigating around the area.
LYNDALE AVENUE RECONSTRUCTION
At the June 12, 2018 City Council approved the preliminary design layout for the Lyndale Avenue Project. Click here to view the Council approved layout.
Stay tuned for more public input opportunities during the design process such as public art, landscaping features, retaining walls, benches, and other design features.
MILL AND OVERLAY PROJECT
The 2018 Mill and Overlay Project is now 100% complete, crews will continue the accelerated Mill and Overlay Project in 2019.
Concrete curb and gutter and sidewalk replacement work began July 30th, 2018 and is expected to be completed by October 5th, 2018.
Crews will be working from:
- Xerxes Avenue to Penn Avenue from 66th to 78th Street
- Penn Avenue to 35W from 70th to 74th Street
- Morgan to Logan Avenue from 75th to 76th Street
CENTERPOINT ENERGY-NICOLLET AVENUE
- On Nicollet Avenue from 76th Street north to 67th Street, the crews have closed the northbound lanes of Nicollet Avenue and shifted two-way traffic into the southbound lanes in this area.
- The crews have closed cross traffic going eastbound and westbound on Nicollet Avenue at 71st Street and 75th Street. Detour signs are posted on site.
- The intersections of 72nd Street, 73rd Street and 74th Street have been restored and opened.
- On Tuesday, September 4, the crews will close 70th Street and open 71st Street.
RICHFIELD PARKWAY-CHAMBERLAIN DEVELOPMENT
The Richfield Parkway-Chamberlain Development began July 12th. Richfield Parkway, south of the entrance to Plaza 66th Street is closed as part of this work until fall of 2018. Work that will take place through July:
- Close Richfield Parkway along the extension and 67th Street
- Install site perimeter fencing
- Install job trailer
- Tree Removals
- Private Utility Relocations
- Building Excavation
77TH STREET UNDERPASS