Road Work Updates
Late Fall 66th Street Reconstruction Update
Crews complete major reconstruction work
Major activities for the second season of the 66th Street (County Road 53) reconstruction project will be ending this week.
Though you may see minor activities occurring over the next few days, the good news is that 66th Street will reopen to all traffic
by the end of the day on Thursday, November 1
During 2018, crews reconstructed 66th Street between Humboldt and Portland avenues, including:
- Replacing underlying soil to improve infrastructure support and drainage
- Updating the aging underground water main, storm and sanitary sewers to reduce needs to repair and replace pipes in the near future
- Replacing curbs and gutters and resurfacing the road to address deteriorating pavement and drainage concerns
- Moving overhead utilities underground (work will be completed this winter)
Corridor ready for all users
While the construction addressed many things you won’t be able to see or instantly appreciate, there are many benefits you will be able to enjoy every day:
- New traffic flow improvements, including roundabouts at Nicollet and Lyndale avenues
- New pavement providing a smoother ride when traveling in a vehicle
- New sidewalks and trails with a boulevard buffer between the road
- New paths to use when bicycling
- New turn lanes in key areas
In addition, all Metro Transit buses and bus stops have returned to 66th Street. For details on your bus route, please visit: https://www.metrotransit.org/rider-alerts
What to expect in weeks ahead
The eastbound and westbound bus stops on 66th Street under I-35W are now open. During the next week, crews will be installing the permanent bus shelters at Lyndale and Nicollet avenues.
Winter utility work
Over the winter, expect minor activities along 66th Street:
- Crews from Xcel Energy will be removing the power poles on the north side of 66th Street between Humboldt and Portland avenues
- Permanent street lights will be activated
- Short-term lane closures will occur as needed
Even though this road remains under construction into 2019, county snow and ice removal teams will maintain it through the construction area throughout the winter.
What to expect next year
The following minor activities will occur in some locations along 66th Street between Humboldt and Portland avenues in 2019:
- Permanent sidewalk installation
- Placing and grading topsoil in boulevards and yards
- Temporary and permanent seeding boulevards and yards
- Permanent striping and paving
- Landscaping (led by the City of Richfield)
From the entire project team, we would like to thank all local businesses, residents and 66th Street users for your patience and cooperation during the 2018 construction season!
This will be the final regularly-planned email update for this year. You may receive a few updates over the winter as utility and other work continues.
LYNDALE AVENUE RECONSTRUCTION
At the June 12, 2018 City Council approved the preliminary design layout for the Lyndale Avenue Project. Click here to view the Council approved layout.
Stay tuned for more public input opportunities during the design process such as public art, landscaping features, retaining walls, benches, and other design features.
MILL AND OVERLAY PROJECT
The 2018 Mill and Overlay Project is now 100% complete, crews will continue the accelerated Mill and Overlay Project in 2019.
The 2018 Concrete Project is now 100% complete, crews will continue the concrete project in 2019.
CENTERPOINT ENERGY-NICOLLET AVENUE
- Crews from Q3 Contracting, an authorized CenterPoint Energy contractor, have milled and paved Nicollet Avenue from 67th Street to 77th Street. Many of the traffic barriers associated with CenterPoint
- Energy’s work in this area will be picked up this week.At the intersection of 70th Street, the crews will temporarily close the northbound lanes of Nicollet Avenue to accommodate the crews’ restoration work.
- For approximately the next few weeks, the crews will close the northbound lanes of Nicollet Avenue at the intersection of 74th Street. The crews will maintain two-way traffic in the southbound lanes. During this closure, drivers can’t turn eastbound onto 74th Street, and they can’t turn onto Nicollet Avenue from 74th Street.
- Along the construction route in Richfield, the crews are continuing to restore the sidewalk panels affected by Michels Corporation’s work.
RICHFIELD PARKWAY-CHAMBERLAIN DEVELOPMENT
Fall is in full swing and crews are pushing to complete all concrete and masonry work before the start of the winter season. Richfielw Parkway between 66th and Cedar Avenue will reopen in November.
- Richfield Parkway has been paved.
- The Level 1 precast plank installation for Building A is complete.
- Street lights are installed along Richfield Parkway.
77TH STREET UNDERPASS