Road Work Updates
Help us design the future look of I-494!
In collaboration with Hennepin County, Bloomington and Richfield, MnDOT is moving toward the construction of the first project in the I-494 Vision. As part of the future I-494 project, MnDOT is developing a Visual Quality Manual (VQM) that will guide the aesthetic qualities and the corridor’s visual elements. The VQM will guide the design of ground colors and materials, medians, fences and railings, wall patterns, landscaping, lighting and more. It will also identify locations to incorporate public art into aesthetic features.
The VQM team needs your input to create a list of themes that reflect the character of our community. The themes will guide the design and aesthetic features of the corridor. Please consider attending the VQM virtual listening sessions on Tuesday, February 1 or Tuesday, March 1 to contribute your ideas! Learn more about these engagement opportunities at www.494openhouse.com.
December 9, 2021 77th Street Underpass Construction Update!
- Despite the onset of winter weather, construction crews are still hard at work. While work will slow compared to what could be accomplished in the summer months, the contractor has staged the project in a way that will allow progress to be made all winter.
- Construction crews are currently focused on the installation of footings for the bridge which will lead westbound 494 over the 77th St underpass construction and onto TH 77 northbound.
- Crews also continue to work on the abutments for the bridge which will take southbound TH 77 traffic over the underpass and onto westbound 494.
- Along TH 77 and old Cedar Ave, metal sheeting is being driven into the soil surrounding the area of the future underpass to help ensure soil stabilization in preparation for future excavation.
- Due to the metal sheeting installation mentioned above, there have been single lane closures on southbound 77th this week from 6am to 2pm which will continue through the end of next week.
- Storm sewer structures are being installed over the next couple weeks in the project area along 77th St in Richfield.
- Despite the cold and snow, Washington Park grading continues and will continue as the contractor works toward a more level grade in the area of the new tunnel.
- Next week the future Richfield parkway linking 76th St and 77th St along the eastern edge of Washington park will be fully graded and will sit idle over the winter waiting for the next phase of the project to begin.
77TH STREET UNDERPASS
The 77th Street underpass will connect 77th Street east and west of Trunk Highway (TH) 77 (Cedar Avenue) to eliminate a gap in the minor reliever network. The project will connect Bloomington and Longfellow Avenues and address regional traffic issues on the I-494 corridor through Richfield and Bloomington.
Construction: Summer 2021-Spring 2023
Lyndale Avenue Reconstruction
The Lyndale Avenue Reconstruction project was completed in Spring 2020. See below for our weekly project update videos.
Check out this awesome time-lapse of the final phase of construction near Lyndale and 66th Street:
From the entire project team, we would like to thank all local businesses, residents and Lyndale Avenue users for your patience and cooperation during the entire project!
66TH STREET RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT
In 2020, the 66th Street contractor wrapped up loose ends and completed final punch list items along the corridor.
Corridor ready for all users!
While the construction addressed many things you won’t be able to see or instantly appreciate, there are many benefits you will be able to enjoy every day:
- New traffic flow improvements, including roundabouts at Nicollet and Lyndale avenues
- New pavement providing a smoother ride when traveling in a vehicle
- New sidewalks and trails with a boulevard buffer between the road
- New paths to use when bicycling
- New turn lanes in key areas
From the entire project team, we would like to thank all local businesses, residents and 66th Street users for your patience and cooperation during the entire 66th Street project and for this final construction season!